Every body wants to look and feel young these days. Going by the very famous quote “You are what you eat” If you eat fresh food you will be and look fresh. If you eat food that has been around, I mean around the factory or too much around the heat you will look like someone who’s been on a very tiring journey!
Is everyone ready to go through the hard work and discipline it takes to keep young and healthy? I will be highlighting 10 top anti aging foods in this post.
The anti aging process
The anti aging process is about slowing down the rate at which the human body grows old. Everybody wants to age gracefully, age with an air of grace around you.
As we grow older the wear and tear of the years seem to tell and show on the human body. How we age and the speed at which we age depends on what we have been feeding the body with and how we have been using the body over the years.
Nutrients and Benefits of anti aging foods
Anti aging foods are mainly antioxidant foods and anti inflammatory foods.
Antioxidant foods are rich in vitamin C, vitamin E and Carotene. Foods with these nutrients protect the body cells from free radicals.
Anti inflammatory foods are foods that fight inflamation in the human body. Such foods are rich in omega 3, vitamin B1, B3 and E
The Top 10 anti aging foods
1. Yam. – This is a very sharchy edible tuber. Being starchy foods, yam is very high in calorie with 118 calories per 100 grams. Yam is very rich in potassium and vitamin C. Potassium is an essential element for a healthy nervous system and healthy body cells. To read more about the benefits of yam click here
2. Tomato. – is a round red vegetable rich in Vitamin C. It contains a very powerful antioxidant called lycopene. This antioxidant has both antioxidant and anti inflammatory properties and is known to be one of the most powerful antioxidants you can find in the world today. Lycopene aids healthy eyes and healthy brains. It keeps the bones from getting weak and brittle. Lycopene lowers blood pressure and keeps the heart healthy. A really important function of lycopene is that it prevents cancer.
3. Avocado – has 160 calories per 100g. Avocado contains a good fat called monounsaturated fat. This fat is very good for the heart health.
4. Green leaves (Ugwu) – this is the west African super green! It is a dark green leaf also known as pumpkin leaf. The ugwu leaf is rich in potassium, iron and vitamin A. It is especially good in building healthy blood cells and reducing the sugar content in blood. Ugwu also aids weight management and boosting the body immune system.
5. Garlic – is also known as the healing herb. Garlic produces an organic compound called allicin. That smell you perceive when garlic is cut or crushed is the production of allicin. Allicin fights infections it also prevents inflammation and hypertension. Learn more about garlic by clicking here
6. Nuts – especially walnuts are rich in magnesium and vitamin B-6, they support brain health. While almonds are rich in magnesium, calcium and potassium. They also help in the reduction of blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol.
7. Fish – Mackerel fish has 305 calories per 100 grams. Mackerel is a rich source of omega 3 fatty acids. It protects from heart disease. It also aids a healthy brain.
8. Olive oil – is 100% mono saturated fat. Olive oil helps prevent hypertension, it also prevents the risk of having stroke.
9. Lemons – Is rich in vitamin C and contains some antibiotics. This wonder working fruit is helful to the health in so many ways. It is used in hair and skin care, as an ingredient in weight loss managment. Lemon mixed with honey and warm or hot water is an exellent drint to be taken daily. This drink clears fever, coughs, colds, flus and helps with weight loss.
10. Sweet potato – Is in the yam family but very different from yam. It is also a root food and very rich in Vitamin A. Sweet potatoes are a plus to the body health, they have antioxidants, anti inflamatory and blood sugar regulating qualities in them.
How to get these anti aging foods into your meals
Now let us get some recipes and serving suggestions for these super foods.
Yam with dark green vegetables – Boil yam with it’s skin to maximize nurient intake. Cook vegetables in very little olive oil, tomatos and crushed garlic. (Vegetables are cooked without water). Add spices of your choice to give it flavour. Serve boiled yam with the vegetable stew.
Garlic in Tomato and fish Stew – blend tomatos, bell pepper, scotch bonnet pepper, onions and garlic into a paste. Add salt and spices of your choice and boil for about 30 minutes. Add mackerel fish to the paste and cook till fish is soft. You won’t need to add any oil to this Stew, the oil in the fish is all it needs.
Yam with Fish Stew – serve boiled yam with the above Tomato Stew.
Yam porridge – my style is to cook 1 and 1/2 inch cubes of yam in vegetables and tomato sauce with some spices to give it a delicious flavour.
Lemon drink – squeeze 1/2 of a lemon into a 250 ml cup. Add a teaspoon of honey. Fill the cup with hot water. Mix and drink consistently once a day, everyday.
Anti aging foods are foods with antioxidants and anti inflammatory nutrients. The top 10 anti aging foods are loaded with nutrients that make you feel and look younger. Add them to your daily meals and enjoy a healthier younger looking you!
Keep healthy and stay young
Has this post helped you? Are you going to try any of my “keep young” meals? I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment below