THE HEALTHIEST RICE TO EAT
When speaking about the healthiest rice, I am not meaning the type of rice like brown or white rice, long grain or basmati rice. I am referring to the method by which the rice is cooked, what ingredients are cooked into it and the quantity safe to consume without accumulating unwanted calories in the body.
What exactly is the healthiest rice to eat?
Which is the healthiest cooked rice to eat? Jollof rice. The West African Jollof rice. This is the healthiest type of cooked rice because it is cooked in an extremely healthy sauce and has the lowest calorie count of all rice meals. 300g of Jollof rice = 296 calories.
What is Jollof rice?
Basically, Jollof rice is rice cooked in the stock from chicken or meat mixed with tomato sauce, not just any tomato sauce, a sauce made up of tomatoes, red bell peppers, onions and scotch bonnet all blended in the right proportion.
Where did Jollof rice originate from?
There two tribes in West Africa called the Jollofs and the Wolofs. They are ethnic groups found in Gambia, Senegal and Mauritania. They were the first set of people to cook Jollof rice and they called it Benachin. Over the years other countries in West Africa started cooking Jollof rice but with their own twist added to it.
Social importance of Jollof rice
Jollof rice is one of the special meals served in West Africa at Christmas, New Year day, Wedding receptions, Funerals, Anniversaries, family meals and whenever there is something to celebrate.
Nutrients in Jollof rice
Rice – 90% Carbohydrate. Also rich in magnesium, phosphorus, iron and folic acid
Tomato – Vitamin C, K, A and calcium
Red bell Pepper – Vitamin C, B6 and Folate
Scotch bonnet pepper – Vitamin C, A, B and iron
Onion – Vitamin C, B6, and Potassium
Chicken gravy – Potassium
Beef gravy — Sodium
Oil – Fat and Vitamin E, K
Health benefits of Jollof rice
- Reduces the risk of cancer and heart disease
- Ability to kill prostate cancer cells
- Fights inflammation
- Helps lose weight and burn fat
- Protects the heart
- Lowers high blood pressure
How is Jollof rice made?
Ingredients: Rice (2 cups), Tomato paste (70g), Tomato (4 medium), Bell pepper (1 large), Scotch Bonnet (1), Onion (1 large), Stock (2 cups)
- Chop or grate ¼ of the onion
- Wash rice in boiled water to get rid of the starch and pour it in a sieve to drain. (Hint: the starchier the rice, the longer it should stay in boiled water)
- Fry onions in 1 tablespoon of oil till tender
- Add blended sauce (tomato, bell pepper, scotch bonnet, onion), tomato paste and stock, cook till it forms a thick paste stirring all the time so it does not get burnt.
- Pour 1 and a half litre of water into the mix and bring to the boil.
- Add drained rice and cook till soft enough.
- Mix it till evenly coloured. It should have a rich orange colour
Serve 300g Jollof rice with fried Plantain (dodo), moimoi and meat, fish, or chicken. Garnish it with salad.
What is the healthy Jollof rice?
When Jollof rice is cooked with reduced oil or no oil at all and only fresh tomato is used without adding tomato paste. In this case the combination of ingredients to blend will be: 6 tomatoes, 2 large red bell pepper, 1 scotch bonnet and 2 medium onions. Also, the stock should be defatted. For perfectly healthy Jollof rice, cook it in the Saladmaster cookware.
How much Jollof rice is a healthy serving?
300g of Jollof rice contains 296 calories. Other food items served alongside would increase the calorie count in the meal.