Oat porridge is the best breakfast meal! We are about to find out why. Oatmeal is made from oat grains. Oat is one of the healthiest edible grains in the world. It contains some antioxidant nutrients. Oatmeal Nutrition facts show that oat is gluten free, it has some antioxidant and vitamins. Oats have some great health benefits and domestic uses. Oats can be made into various types of meals and snacks.
Oat is rich in:
- Antioxidants called phenolic acid and avenanthramide (AVA)
- Vitamins – such as vitamins E, vitamin B and Magnesium
- Carbohydrates. – Oats is 60% starch.
- It is also high in soluble fiber and insoluble fiber.
- Being gluten free
Oat Health Benefits
– Helps in weight lose plan. Oat stores energy in the body and releases this energy gradually over time, this makes you feel full for a longer time, preventing you from craving for food in between meals.
– oatmeal aids digestion, this also helps in weight lose.
– Regulates sugar in the blood and can reduce the amount of insulin injections a diabetic patient needs.
– Lowers cholesterol in the blood
– contains 2% of daily recommended calcium
– Oats is gluten free
– Prevents heart attack – Vitamin E in oats improves heart health.
– skin health: Oats help treat dry skin and skin conditions such as eczema, skin rash and itching skin.
– A natural remedy for chicken pox and poison ivy – put half a cup of oats into a kitchen towel, tie it and put it in the bath water. Sit in the water for 10 minutes rubbing the dampened oat towel over the affected areas.
– Hair treatment and maintenance – Oats helps with hair loss and dandruff treatment. Mix some oat flour into your shampoo or hair conditioner. Apply it to your hair, leave for 10 minutes then rinse.
– Anti aging qualities – Oatmeal contains antioxidants, these are very good in slowing down the aging process.
– A great remedy for constipation. Oatmeal contains soluble and insoluble fiber. The combination of these fibers is a great help in bowel movement.
– Oat bath – get a cup of oat flour or powder a cup of oatmeal in a blender. Mix it into a warm bath and soak yourself in the mixture for 10 – 15 minutes. The oat bath has a soothing effect for itching skin and reliefs the skin of ailments such as rash, sunburn and eczema.
– Oat is used as face mask and to soothe skin conditions
Oat bread – Oat flour can be used instead of the conventional flour in baking bread.
– Oat can be made into Breakfast bars, Pancakes and muffins
– Snacks – oat cookies are good when prepared with little or no oil or sugar. Raisins, bananas and apples all make excellent oat cookies. Oat bars and oat bites are also healthy snacks.
– As a thickener in soups – make oats into flour and add it to soups like the normal flour, it is very good at thickening soups
– Infant food – Oatmeal is excellent for babies from 6 to 8 months. You can either make it with fruits or to make to savory add chopped vegetables. Avoid using instant oatmeal for your baby, they contain too much sugar.
– Meals – Oat meal can be made into various meals such as: Porridge. Fufu. Soups and Smoothie.
– Medicinal purposes. Oat is used for managing Menstrual cycles, diabetic patients and bone conditions.
– Oat Porridge: An excellent breakfast idea. To make it healthier, cook oats in water and garnish it with dried or fresh fruit. Do not add sugar! You may use honey to sweeten it instead of sugar. To make savory Oatmeal, chop your favorite vegetables, pour them into the pot, add the desired amount of oatmeal and boil them all together.
– Oat in smoothie – This could be a perfect breakfast or dinner for you. Put your normal combination of fruits or fruits and vegetables into your smoothie maker. Add a table spoon of oat flour and blend to a smooth thick paste. It will thicken your smoothie and keep you full till the next meal.
– Oat Fufu: This meal would be ideal for lunch or dinner. Ingredients: oat flour and hot water. Bring water to the boil, add oat flour and stir until you have a bread dough consistency. Add a little bit of water, boil it for 5 minutes, mix till smooth and serve. Oat fufu is enjoyed with soups such as Okra soup, Ewedu soup, Efo-riro or plain tomato stew.
– Oat in soup: Sprinkle a table spoon of oat flour in to your soup to give it the desired thickness. And simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add oatmeal to your diet and enjoy its antioxidant nutrients. Also, use oats in your daily activities around the home, have an oat bath, add oats to your soups and smoothies. You will definitely experience a new you emerging.
To start using oats flour and or oatmeal click on any of the links below.
Also I would like to know how you are getting on with oats or if you have any questions, please leave a comment.